There are a large number of Greek scientists in the USA working in the field of Biomedical Sciences, and many of them play a key role in the development of the field. At the same time, a large number of aspiring students study in Greek Universities and seek avenues of collaboration with foreign institutions to further their research. Collaboration and scientific outreach, have been deemed imperative for the success of the Greek research efforts, which are very important as innovation and discovery go hand-in-hand with economic recovery and development. The interactions between these two parties are essential to enable, initiate, grow and flourish collaboration that can lead to new discoveries and new directions that can help both sides to develop their vision.
Enable and facilitate interactions among Greek biomedical scientists between Greece and the USA.
Through our association, we hope to bring the two sides in contact to spark and initiate long-term collaboration and exchange programs. Our mission is to enable and facilitate interactions among Greek biomedical scientists between Greece and the USA. We try to achieve our goals through four main avenues:
- Science Teaching Exchange Program (STEP): Professors from US institutions visit Greek universities for a lecture and one-on-one discussion with graduate students, giving feedback on their research, guidance to their experiments and even the possibility to visit a US lab to execute part of their work.
- Mentorship Program: The program aims to build a strong, sustainable network where distinguished Greek or Greek-American scientists and entrepreneurs of the USA will mentor young Greek or Greek-American students and scientists in the field of biomedical sciences.
- Meet the Professional is a series of networking events that aim to bring together HBA members with well-established professionals from Industry or Academia. The event is limited to 6-8 participants and takes place in a casual and informal environment, typically over dinner. Participants get a chance to interact with a guest seasoned professional and get guidance on career development, professional success and other topics of professional interest.
- Travel Scholarship Program: This new initiative aims to support HBA members at the beginning of their career by recognizing their research work and offering a monetary award to assist with expenses towards presenting their work in a US national or international conference of their choice.
- Events: We further organize Symposia, local meetings, and events where Greek biomedical scientists can meet, discuss and network. Through these interactions we broaden our reach, enlarge our network and assist our members to find new avenues of collaborations.